Formation of Montrose Recreation District
The Montrose Recreation District (MRD) was formed in 1956, as a special district to build and operate a summer swimming pool. As a special district, it falls under the Colorado Revised Statutes (C.R.S. 32). The district is not part the city or county government, but instead assesses its own mill levy and adopts its own policies and budgets.
As a result of the district’s formation, an outdoor swimming pool was built in 1957, on South 12th near the existing Magic Circle Theater. The MRD owned the property on which the theater is currently standing and leased it to the theater group for many years. In 1988, the property was sold and proceeds were used to retire a revenue bond, which was used in the construction of the new Aquatics Center.
There were no full-time employees of the district until 1972. At that time, the MRD began branching out by developing an activity guide and looking into other facilities for the community. The growth in the MRD has corresponded with that of the surrounding area, which has been significant since the mid-1980s.
Board of Directors
The district is governed by a seven-member Board of Directors who are elected at large, bi-annually. Board members serve a four-year term unless appointed mid-term.
The Board of Directors is a policy-making board. It meets monthly on the second or fourth Thursday, with the exception of holidays, for regular meetings. Special meetings are held as needed. Meetings are open to the public.
The district cooperates with other area entities such as the RE-1J School District, the City of Montrose, Montrose County, and various private or community organizations. All are working together to make the community a better place to live.